Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Bernard Martin

Here are some pieces from Bernard Martin's "New Hero" paintings at ADA Gallery (where I am currently interning). It is inspiring looking at his paintings each week while every time discovering something new. Also loved Martin's quotes written in an article by the Richmond Times Dispatch. If you are in Richmond, VA I would highly recommend seeing Martin's pieces!

"If some people want to think of this as Pop Art, that won't bother me a bit," Martin says. "The imagery comes from the comic books I loved as a boy, and the Pop artists drew from the same comics I'm drawing from."

"The longer one lives, the younger one grows, assuming that one is truly alive at all, because [people attain their] maximum potential at about the age of 12, and then, if they are to make anything of their life, they must grow back to that potential in their maturity."

"I believe art should serve both the eye and the mind, and my paintings are much more complex, far more conceptual than Pop Art. If people come into my show and see only Pop Art, they aren't seeing what I'm trying to do."
- Bernard Martin














No comments:

Post a Comment