Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ye Ranji

The Creator's Project chats with Ye Ranji, a fashion designer from South Korea. Ye Ranji infuses story telling into her work, which defies the conventionality of most fashion lines. If you read the excerpt from the interview below, you can tell the storyline is an essential element within her clothes, while it also adds an interesting perspective within her pieces.

"Could you talk a bit about the name and concept behind all three of your shows?

- For my first collection I used and showed tailoring dealing with Tibetan colors. So matching with the social concept of the title, I started with a drape dress and purple flower dress styled like the robes worn by monks. The second show, Logic of My Private Parts, was my favorite and portrayed mostly my own stories. The idea behind it is that everyone has their own private parts that they want to hide away and keep to themselves, and that fashion is a way for us to chose which small selections of those parts we reveal at different times, and to whom... The third show’s theme was based on traditional tightrope walkers in South Korea. A tightrope walker uses a fan to hold her balance to carry herself forward. I tried to incorporate the pleats of those fans into my collection. By incorporating those elements into my clothes, I was able to convey a message that clothes can become a tool that can accompany and help balance out our lives, help keep us from falling over the edge."

No comments:

Post a Comment